30 November, 2008

Snakes, Oh My!


On a tour, the guide sneakily dropped us off at a snake show. It was one of my worst nightmares brought to life. A man wandered around putting snakes on people to charge money for photos. Uncovered enclosures had snakes slithering and writhing all over each other. Rickety cages (which I suspect wouldn't pass US safety standards) held venomous snakes. After walking through the creepy zoo, we watched a show where men kissed cobras and dodged them as they tried to defend themselves (one snake was almost flung into the audience if he hadn't hit the wall- two inches higher and one terrified spectator would have had a cobra in their lap!), then they displayed (I kid you not) the male snake's double genitalia and carried the snakes in the audience for visitors to touch for good luck. Needless to say, I passed on the idea but the man dangled the thing in my lap.

As much as I am not a snake lover (the animal symbolized Satan in the Bible for a reason), I felt a strange sadness for the inhumane treatment of the serpents. Unfortunately, it becomes increasingly evident that Thailand is a tourism-driven nation and therefore the Thai people conform their lifestyles and occupations according to the needs and demands of the tourists, hence the inhumane shows for entertainment, rampant prostitution and the sale of mock designer goods. I can't help but sympathize with the Thai people who work hard for so little and as a result I have noticed they sometimes swindle or rip off tourists, often resorting to harassing sales techniques, insincere helpfulness to sell something or generally having a bitter outlook towards Westerners because they assume we're all rich and wasteful. It's a vicious cycle and both the tourism and poverty in Thailand remain.

Thailand Notes:

Ko Phi Phi off of Phuket was incredible! We stayed at a nice resort on the quieter part of the island and enjoyed the best red curry of our lives at a candlelight, beachfront dinner! I was so inspired by the meal, I took a pricey Thai cooking class from the head chef at the restaurant- it was such a unique learning experience. I can't wait to make some for my family at home.

To anyone considering travel to Thailand- without a doubt- go. Just pack lots of baby wipes and hand sanitizer. If you really hate cigarette smoke and pollution, bring a face mask like painters and manicurists wear- even the police and locals wear them around the city. Also, women need to bring clothes to cover their legs and shoulders while they are visiting temples.